File a Police Report
If this is an Emergency or a police officer response is needed, please call 911 or the non-emergency number 651-291-1111.
Welcome to the St. Paul Police Department online police reporting system. Using this online police report system allows you to submit a report immediately and later print a copy of the police report at no cost.
You must have a valid email address to file an online police report.
An online report is used for minor incidents that do not have a sense of urgency, and does not pose a safety concern. It also helps keep our patrol officers available to respond to emergency calls.
An online police report can only be completed for the following crime types:
- Burglary of detached garage
(for residential burglary, call for an officer response)
- Damage to property
- Fraud & Forgery
- Harassing phone calls
- Illegal dumping
- Information report
- Lost property
(for vehicle theft or robbery, where force or threat of force was used, call for an officer response)
- Theft from Auto
(for theft of license plates, call for an officer response)
Please confirm the following to find out if online reporting is right for you:
- This is not an emergency.
- This incident occurred within the city of St. Paul.
- There is no evidence to be collected.
- This did not occur on an Interstate Freeway.
- I am age 18 or older.
- I have an Email address.
- This is not a crime motivated by bias.
- This is not regarding a stolen vehicle or stolen license plates.
- This does not involve a stolen firearm.
- This is not a hit and run or vehicle crash.
If you answered yes to ALL of the above conditions, you are ready to file your report online. Please make sure to turn off your pop-up blocking software before filing the report
If you answered no to ANY of the crime types or report conditions, please look at our Frequently Asked Questions section or call 651-291-1111 to have an officer respond.
What happens after I submit my report?
- You will receive a temporary tracking number. This is not your police case number.
- Your report will be reviewed within the next 2 business days.
- If your report is approved, a permanent police case number will be assigned. This is the number to report to your insurance company, bank, etc. if needed.
- A copy of your police report will be emailed in a printable PDF format.
- Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be contacted by an investigator.
Please check your e-mail regularly, including the spam or junk e-mail file.
Please note: this system in NOT monitored 24/7.
If you need a police response sooner than 2 days, do not use this online reporting system. Call the non-emergency number at 651-291-1111 instead.
If you have questions about the status of your report, please call the Records Unit at 651-266-5700.
Please note: Filing a false police report is a crime. M.S.S 609.505