How to Apply and Veteran's Preference
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applications must be submitted with all required documentation prior to the 4:30 pm deadline on the job posting. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Your application must include all relevant education and experience you possess. Human Resources reviews the information you provide to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the job. The information you provide may be evaluated as part of an assessment.
- Read the job posting and requirements and attach required documentation before submitting an application. (Each attached document is limited to 10 MB.) We recommend removing social security information. Human Resources does not accept resumes unless attached to an application for a specific job posting.
- Fully answer all assessment questions and do not state: "See resume."
- Future vacancies are filled from an eligible list of qualified candidates who pass the assessment. Eligible lists generally exist for one year. Candidates as determined by the Civil Service Rules, are referred to the hiring supervisor for consideration. If the selection process is pass/fail, the names of all candidates who pass the assessment are forwarded to the hiring department. When promotion candidates exist, promotion candidates have hiring preference.
- All notices will be sent to the email account associated with your application profile.
- Additional documentation may be submitted via mail, in person, email, or fax. Your name and the position you are applying for must be on every document. Office of Human Resources, 200 City Hall Annex, 25 W. Fourth Street, Saint Paul, MN 55102; Fax: 651-266-6490; Email
- Do not submit multiple applications for the same position unless directed to do so. The most recent application received before the deadline is considered and previous applications for the posting are inactivated.
- If you need to create an email account, you can establish a free email account at Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo.
- If you do not have computer access or scanning capabilities, computers are available in public libraries or the Office of Human Resources.
- Misrepresentation or falsification of information or material omissions may result in rejection of current applications submitted or, if hired, subsequent discipline up to and including dismissal from employment.
- If you have questions or require special accommodations, contact the HR Consultant listed on the job announcement or call 651-266-6500.
Please refer to this visual guide on how to create an account and how to apply.
Candidates who pass the assessment for the job they applied for will be placed on an eligible list. This is a list of candidates eligible to be selected for an interview by a hiring manager. Placement on the eligible list does not guarantee an interview. A hiring manager may interview and hire any of the names on the eligible list. If selected for an interview, a department representative will contact you directly. Failure to respond to the department representative within 5 days, or turning down an interview or job offer may result in your name being removed from the list. Most eligible lists are in effect for one year.
The City of Saint Paul is committed to providing reasonable testing accommodations to employees and job applicants who have a physical or psychological limitation, without regard to whether the employee is legally disabled. If you have a physical or psychological impairment and believe you are in need of an accommodation in the assessment process, please complete the Applicant Accommodation Request Form below and submit to email@example.com prior to the application deadline.
The City of Saint Paul honors veteran’s preference to qualified applicants in accordance with MN Statute 197.455.
- How to apply for Veteran’s Preference
- MN Statute 197.447 – Definition of Minnesota Veteran
- MN Statute 197.455 – Veteran’s Preference Applied
Individuals may become certified as Section 3 residents if they receive public housing or if their family income falls below the Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) income limits.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
Contact the jobs page and/or the specific department for more information.
Disclaimer: The City of Saint Paul Human Resources Department makes every attempt to insure the accuracy of the information contained on this website. The Human Resources Department is not responsible for failure of other agencies, internet service providers, or postal services to forward applications or notifications by the deadline.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Saint Paul. The City of Saint Paul is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the L.G.B.T.Q. community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
This page was last updated on 04/01/2020.