Pedestrian and Bicycle Traffic Count
2019 Count Volunteers Needed!
The City of Saint Paul is preparing for its annual pedestrian and bicyclist counts and needs your help! The counts are taking place over two weeks on Tuesday, September 10 – Thursday, September 12, and on Tuesday September 17 - Thursday September 19. Volunteers will be asked to count people walking and bicycling from 4:00-6:00 PM on one of the count dates. Counting helps city staff understand where and how people are walking and biking around Saint Paul, and helps guide investment in infrastructure improvements.
If you would like to volunteer for the upcoming September count, please sign up here. Thanks to Minneapolis Public Works for hosting the sign-up platform and content!
For questions about the annual bicycle and pedestrian counts, please contact Luke Hanson, 651-266-6146 or email@example.com
In 2013, the City initiated a program to count pedestrian and bicycle traffic at select locations across the city. Due to limitations of City staff, volunteers play a crucial role by counting bicycle and foot traffic and submitting the data to city staff. The purpose of the bicycle and pedestrian counting program is as follows:
- To collect comprehensive data set about bicycle and pedestrian traffic across the city for use by the City of St. Paul and partner organizations.
- To understand where and how bicyclists and pedestrians travel in Saint Paul.To gain an understanding of how bicycle and pedestrian traffic volumes change over time and in response to investment in infrastructure.
- To allow the City to make better informed decisions on future infrastructure and safety investments for non-motorized transportation.
Count Resources & Training Materials
- Count form for use on date of count. One form is needed per screenline.
- Volunteer packing list, which suggests what to bring along for the count.
- Volunteer training presentation for review prior to the count.
Training materials for the City's count have been designed using the MN Department of Transportation's count manager materials.