Detached Garage Permit & Inspections
See Chapter 63.501 of the City of Saint Paul Legislative Code for information regarding set-backs, location on the lot, and height and size limitations.
You must submit an application that includes the following:
- Detached Garages, Sheds, & Residential Accessory Structures Handout
- General Building Permit Application Form
- Homeowner's Building Permit Affidavit (for homeowner pulling permit)
- A Site Plan and all necessary construction documents
- If in an Historic Preservation Areas or other special area, copy of detailed construction plans
- If on a one to four-family residential property, proof of general contractor license
- If pouring slab, proof of cement finishing license or equivalent
- Required fee
Expiration & Renewal
Each permit issued shall expire if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within 180 days from the date issued, or if the work is suspended or abandoned at any time after the work has begun for a period of 180 days. In addition, exterior work done on a one or two-family dwelling (including garages) must be completed within one year from the date issued. Interior and exterior work done on commercial properties (including hotels and apartment buildings) where the permit valuation is under $500,000 must be completed within one year from the date issued. For more information, see Chapter 33.04 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code.