Application Requirements

You must submit the following:

Who May Apply For a Warm Air / Ventilation Permit?

Owners / Homeowners Owners / homesteaders may apply for a warm air / ventilation permit for a single-family dwelling if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You own the property
  • You legally homestead the property
  • You perform the refrigeration work yourself

Owners / homesteaders of duplexes must be living in the half / side of the duplex where the refrigeration work will be performed.

If you are the owner of a single-family dwelling or duplex and do not homestead the portion you are working in, you can not apply for a refrigeration permit. (A homesteader occupies the dwelling unit and is registered as the homesteader in Ramsey County. To file for homestead, contact Ramsey County Homestead at 651-266-2100.)Contractors Warm air / ventilation permits for the following properties must be obtained by an warm air / ventilation contractor licensed by the City of Saint Paul:

  • Residential properties of three units or larger
  • Commercial properties

Warm air / ventilation contractors, licensed by the City of Saint Paul, may perform warm air / ventilation work on any property in Saint Paul with the appropriate permit. If a licensed warm air / ventilation contractor has been hired, they are responsible for obtaining the warm air / ventilation permit and complying with code requirements.