A Transient Merchant License is required for businesses who set up temporarily at a hotel or other location for the sale of new goods.

A Peddler License is required for individuals selling on private property, unless the individual has a long-term, formal lease agreement (more than 30 days), and for sale of craft and art items unless sale is conducted under a Block Party Permit for a craft show. The individual must be 14 years of age or older to work for wages. Amway, Fuller, etc. are exempt. Also exempt are peddlers who have been approved to be at the Special Event, assigned a permanent booth on site, and are not mobile.

A Solicitor License is required for individuals who accept payment before final delivery of a product or service.

Per Saint Paul Legislative Code Chapter 345.03, "...shall not apply to any canvassing or soliciting for a charitable, religious, political or educational organization if such organization is registered with the Secretary of State as a charitable organization or exempted, nor to solicitations of orders for future door-to-door delivery of newspapers." If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.

Code Requirements

See Chapter 345 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about transient merchants.

Application Requirements

You must submit the following:

  • Name and address of site where business will be conducted
  • Information about goods to be sold
  • Ramsey County Transient Merchant License number*
  • Required fee

*Contact Ramsey County, Property Records and Revenue, Taxpayer Services, 90 West Plato, St. Paul, (651-266-2000).


A Transient Merchant License requires inspection approvals from Licensing (Phone: 651-266-8989).


A Transient Merchant License is $70.00 per location per day.

Cash or credit card payments can be approved immediately but check payments require two weeks processing time.


A Transient Merchant License is valid only for the day(s) issued.

Whom do I contact to request approval to sell at specific locations?

  • RiverCentre - Phone: 651-265-4800
  • State Capitol Grounds - Phone: 651-296-6404
  • Saint Paul Parks - Phone: 651-266-6400

Last Edited: April 9, 2021